As you prepare to apply to veterinary school, it’s important to become familiar with the application process and timeline to ensure you submit high quality application materials on time.
To start, you need to know some basic information about how the veterinary school application process works.
There are two centralized application services for U.S. veterinary schools.
VMCAS (Veterinary Medical College Application Service) is used by almost all American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited programs: Link to the VMCAS Application
TMDSAS (Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service) is used for the two public veterinary schools in Texas: Link to TMDSAS Site
Here is a timeline for the 2021-2022 Veterinary school admissions cycle to help you with your planning:
- Become familiar with the application process and veterinary schools. Good sources of information are the Veterinary Medical School Admissions Requirements (VMSAR) database: https://applytovetschool.org/ , school websites, and your pre-health advisor.
- VMCAS becomes available online on January 21. Although you can start filling out the application immediately, you cannot select and submit applications to programs until May 12.
- Continue to gain veterinary, animal, community service and/or research experience throughout the next year.
February – March 2021
- Consider who you’ll request letters of recommendation from. Requirements vary by school, but many vet schools require three letters, with at least one letter each being from a veterinarian and one from a professor (sometimes specifically a science professor). For faculty letters, it is a good idea to request the letter before school ends for the year.
April – May 2021
- Prepare for and take GRE if you plan to take it in the spring.
- TMDSAS opens on May 1.
- May 12 – Programs available for selection on VMCAS. Fill out program specific supplemental questions. Application can be submitted at this time, but most veterinary schools do not have rolling admissions, so it can be beneficial to wait after summer veterinary, animal, and research experiences and/or summer school has been completed to include those on the application.
June – August 2021
- Summer veterinary, animal, research, or other experiences.
- Prepare for and take GRE if not already done.
- Submit VMCAS application.
- September 15 is VMCAS and TMDSAS deadline.
October 2021 – February 2022
- Interviews begin as early as October at some schools and then continue until February, although some schools may interview into early spring.
- Begin vet school!