A comprehensive, searchable PA School Database
Since many Physician Assistant schools have rolling admissions, applying early is important. As the cycle proceeds and spots in the class are filled, admission for the remaining spots can become more competitive. The entire application process takes nearly a full year to complete. By familiarizing yourself with the application process early on, you can develop a schedule for the many application-related tasks you will need to complete and submit a high-quality application early in the cycle.
Most PA programs use The Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) as their primary application.
In addition to submitting a primary application CASPA, most PA schools require a supplemental (“secondary”) application. The final step in the application is an interview.
Here is a timeline for the 2022-2023 PA school admissions cycle to help you with your planning:
November 2021-January 2022
- Become familiar with the application process and PA schools. Good sources of information are the CASPA site, PA school websites, and your pre-health advisor.
- Confirm that you are on track to complete the pre-requisite courses for PA school.
- Continue to gain patient care and community service experience throughout the next year.
February – March 2022
- Request letters of recommendation from professors and healthcare providers individually or obtain a committee letter per your undergraduate institution’s protocol.
- Consider taking the GRE in winter or early spring.
April – May 2022
- CASPA opens in late April.
- Take or retake the GRE.
- Begin receiving supplemental (secondary) applications from programs. Note: some schools have secondary application questions within the CASPA application in the “Program Materials” section. Those must be completed at the time CASPA is submitted to those schools.
June – August 2022
- Continue receiving supplemental applications.
- Interviews begin in July or August at some schools.
September 2022 – Spring 2023
- Interview at PA schools.
- Stay in contact with schools you are waitlisted at.
- Begin PA school!